Are You Homeless or Do You Know Someone That Is?

Common Signs of Homelessness


If your family lives in any of the following situations:

• In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground

• On the street

• In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or

• Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing


Then, your preschool-aged and school-aged

children have certain rights or protections

under the McKinney-Vento Homeless

Education Assistance Act.


If You Are Homeless Your Children Have The Right To:

• Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you

have lived there. They must be given access to the same

public education, including preschool education, provided

to other children.

• Continue in the school they attended before you became

homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice

and is feasible. If a school sends your child to a school other than

the one you request, the school must provide you with a written

explanation and offer you the right to appeal the decision.

• Receive transportation to the school they attended before

your family became homeless or the school they last attended,

if you or a guardian request such transportation.

• Attend a school and participate in school programs with children

who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the

regular school program because they are homeless.

• Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools

cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay

school enrollment.

• Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the

transfer of school and immunization records or any other

documents required for enrollment.

• Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even

while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over

enrolling your children.

• Receive the same special programs and services, if needed,

as provided to all other children served in these programs.

• Receive transportation to school and to school programs.
Please Contact Me and Go To These Websites for More Information